In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Hartland Historical Society

Hartland Emporium, 1967

Contributed by Hartland Historical Society
MMN Item 75487 Item Details
Hartland Emporium, 1967
MMN Item 75487 Zoom


In the 1960s, '70s, and early '80s, the Hartland Emporium sold hardware, sporting and recreation goods, and items for the home out of what had been known as the Park House, originally a 19th century inn in the center of town.

In this August, 1967, photo, store co-owner and manager John Plummer stands in front of the store with his wife, Florence (left), and his daughter, Cheryl (center). The large glass bay windows behind them held rotating displays of store goods. Particularly popular was a Christmastime display complete with mechanical elves that seemed to saw and hammer away at their workbenches.

Plummer started the business in 1959 in partnership with his friend and fellow World War II veteran, Harold Gertsen, who resided in New Jersey. Plummer and his family lived in Dover-Foxcroft at the time and he commuted daily to Hartland to run the store. In 1965, when Plummer's daughters went to college, he and his wife moved to the Park House and lived in a large apartment over the store. In 1976, Plummer opened the Coffee Shoppe in another section of the Park House.

He and his partner sold the building and businesses in 1984.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.